About Brian LePore (aka POWRSURG)
Born, raised and residing in Rochester, NY, I have been a Web nerd ever since I started working in the Web Services department at SUNY Brockport. I don't know why, but I something about it appealed to me. I try my damndest to follow the most strict standards defined by the W3C (check the source, I'm aiming for XHTML 1.1), and have developed a vast knowledge on the subject of Web browser compatibility.
Since enrolling in SUNY Brockport, I have obtained my bachelors degree in the fields of Computational Science and Mathematics, with a minor in Computer Science. After completing this degree, I entered the masters program in Computational Science. In the summer of 2005, the department asked me to join another student in an internship at the Tosteson/Halperin Laboratory at Harvard Medical School. It is based off this internship that I am currently writing my masters thesis, which will finish off my degree. Computer programming languages I learned while attending Brockport include C, C++, Fortran 77, Fortran 90/95, PHP, and Python.
Besides that, I am also your typical comic book geek (I am a Marvel zombie). I am a professional wrestling fan who regularly follows TNA and WWE. I am a huge fan of The Simpsons and Futurama, and reference them way too much in conversation. You can normally find me on the channels #wrestling and #wrestlingdb on the IRC network EFnet.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why the name POWRSURG?
- In the mid-90's, Marvel released a card game Overpower. It was sort of like Magic: The Gathering for super heroes. Powersurge was the name of their first expansion pack. Despite never once playing the game, I collected the cards and liked the name. I liked Powersurge better than Overpower, so I went with that name instead.
- Why do you spell POWRSURG that way?
- Because EFnet has a nine character limit for screen names. I decided to eliminate both "e"s from the word to shorten it to fit.
- There is an expectation that anyone that spells their screen name with all capital letters is a newby idiot that doesn't know any better and doesn't realize that it looks annoying. It's my little jab into the word of anarky when they realize I'm actually (somewhat) intelligent!
- Why do you hide behind an alias and not use your real name?
- Despite the fact that the language is only popular in certain circles, I am not the only Fortran programmer named Brian LePore. How the heck is that even possible?
- Screw you, John Byrne. jk ;)
- Why the heck
- You sure do love acronyms and abbreviations, don't you?
- Yup. :)
- Started working at CypherWorx.
- Started working at Brand Builder Websites.
- Finished my masters at SUNY Brockport.
- Actually starting to do something with this Web site.
- Quasi student status resulted in my leaving work at SUNY Brockport. Stupid thesis….
- Interned at Tosteson/Halperin Laboratory at Harvard Medical School.
- Registered this POWRSURG.com.
- Began the masters program in Computational Science.
- Earned my bachelors degree for Computational Science, and Mathematics.
- Started working in Informational Technology Services (where I mainly worked in the Web Services department) for my college.
- Began college at SUNY Brockport.
- Graduated high school.
- Mother nearly died of cancer.
- Briefly returned to karate to earn my black belt.
- Due to numerous thyroid problems, I dropped out of or heavily reduced my involvement in most forms of sport. Stopped attending karate literally at the highest rank one can earn that is directly below black belt.
- Saw Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect at Summer Slam on PPV. Officially started following wrestling as a big fan, rather than just watching it because my family did.
- Begun reading Marvel comics.
- The Simpsons began.
- Dad died February 15 from cancer.
- Born March 9.